Between online lessons or videoconferences with distance learning or smart working, our habits are now suddenly changing. Taking notes and not getting distracted from home has become increasingly difficult, which is why the ideal is to rely on online tools that can help you automatically transcribe the lesson or the meeting without missing anything.
And if the video lesson or course you are following is in English, it becomes even more complicated. Being videoconferenced with foreign people and having to speak in English while also trying to understand what is being said, is not really that easy, especially if your pronunciation and understanding are not up to par.
Fortunately, there is a voice transcription service Otter.ai which unlike Microsoft Word and Google Docs transcribes everything that is said in real time. This unwinding program makes available to the browser Google Chrome an extension that hooks to Google Meet offering a convenient transcription system based onartificial intelligence, which you can also use for subtitles.
Otter.ai save audio transcripts to yours account Otter with a real-time automatic transcription experience of notes during your meetings or online classes. As mentioned, it is available in English on the Web, iOS, Android and how extension on Chrome to be used on Zoom e Google Meet.
Read also: How to transcribe a video lesson on Word
How to transcribe an English video lesson with Meet
The first step in applying automatic transcription on Google Meet is to connect to This Page and click on the button Add, to add the extension Otter.ai su Google Chrome (you can download it from Official site).
Confirm adding the plugin by clicking on the button Add extension, in the window that appears at the top, and that's it.
Once the extension is installed it's time to start using it.
How to use Otter.ai
- Start Google Meet from Google Chrome.
- Press the button New meeting and then Start a meeting now.
- Click onOtter.ai icon in the extension bar, at the top, to open it.
- A “Live Notes” panel will appear on the right side of the Google Meet interface.
- Press the button Sign up for FREE to register for the Otter.ai service.
- You can sign up for an account Google, Microsoft, Apple or enter a personal email and password.
- Press the button Create account, its Next and then enter yours Your name e Last name.
- At the end you can decide to synchronize your meetings or press on Skip (jump), top right.
- You will receive a registration confirmation email. Open your email and click on Confirm email address.
- You will be redirected to a page that after a few seconds will confirm your registration.
- Go back to Google Meet and click on the icon again Otter.ai.
- Start the meeting and click on Record to start automatic transcription.
- Click on the button CC to open subtitles in real time.
- Click the || button to put in Pause or on the button Play (Resume Recording) to resume recording.
After closing the video call with Meet, remember that you will have to block Otter.ai by clicking on the button Stop Recording.
Currently this system works only for the English language, but it sure is a big plus. The audio transcripts are saved in a space in the Cloud Also available for free accounts and can be shared with whoever you want. Furthermore, the subtitles function works very well even when the speaker is not a native English speaker.
Unlike Meet subtitle settings, which are meeting dependent, Otter.ai is connected to the browser, so you can use it without the other attendees noticing.
To conclude this feature is available to all Otter.ai users, including those with plans Basic, For e Business. Paid plans allow you to record more minutes per month and include a number of additional features, including the ability to import audio and video for transcription, various export options, advanced search capabilities, synchronization dropbox, additional security measures and more.