Sony shows its next generation controllers for VR. The PS VR 2 features many new features designed to create an increasingly realistic gaming experience. An updated design to better adapt to the physiognomy of the players and a tactile feedback that manages to make different situations credible make the PS VR 2 a big news in the world of virtual reality. The new controller also features tactile sensing which, by sensing the position of the players' fingers, allows for more precise movements.
Sony vice president Hideaki Nishino revealed details of the new controllers in an article for the Playstation Blog.
“After the recent unveiling of the next generation virtual reality system for PS5, I'm thrilled to unveil more details on the new controller that will play a pivotal role in delivering the VR experience we're working on to gamers. The new controller VR recalls our goal of offering a much deeper sense of involvement to immerse yourself in experiences VR. It will be developed on the basis of the wireless controller Dualense, which changed the perception of the games on PS5. We are now introducing this innovation to the gaming experience VR.
You will immediately notice the unique design of the controller VR new generation, which takes on a spherical shape to allow a natural grip and great freedom during the game. The absence of restrictions on the movement of the player's hands gives developers the possibility to create unique gaming experiences.
In addition, we have designed the new controller with excellent ergonomics, so that it is well balanced and comfortable to hold. We applied what we learned from tests carried out on users with various hand shapes. Not forgetting the decades of in-depth analysis on controllers across all platforms PlayStation. The result is an iconic design that will change the way titles are played VR.
The new controller VR allows players to interact with games in a much more instinctive way. Several features are available, including some of the main ones of Dualense in line with our vision of games VR of new generation.
- Adaptive triggers: each controller VR includes an adaptive trigger that adds palpable tension when pressed, as is the case with the DualSense controller. Playing a title PS5, you will know the tension felt by pressing the L2 or R2 keys, like drawing a bow to shoot an arrow. Applying this mechanics to the VR, the experience is amplified and taken to a higher level.
- Haptic feedback: The new controller will feature haptic feedback optimized for its design. This will offer more punchy, modulated and nuanced gameplay sensations. As you traverse a rugged rocky desert or strike in hand-to-hand combat, you'll feel the difference. The audio and visual experience, fundamental for the VR, it will be amplified.
- Tactile sensing: The controller can detect your fingers without applying any pressure to the areas where you place your thumb, index or middle fingers. This will allow you to perform more natural hand movements while playing.
- Detection: the controller VR is detected by the new viewer VR through a ring at the bottom of the controller.
- Action keys / analog sticks: The left controller is equipped with an analog stick, square and triangle buttons, a "grip" button (L1), a trigger (L2) and the Create button. The right controller is equipped with an analog stick, the buttons cross and circle, a “grip” button (R1), a trigger (R2) and the Options button. The "grab" button can be used, for example, to collect game items.
The product, engineering and design teams of SIE collaborated to make the new controller VR from scratch with the aim of taking a huge step forward compared to games VR of current consoles. We're excited about the controller we've developed, but what matters now is how game developers can leverage its capabilities to create next-generation VR experiences. The prototypes of the new controller VR they will soon be in the hands of the development community and we can't wait to see their ideas and how the controller will help bring their imaginations to life!
There is still a lot of information to share about the new generation of VR to PS5. On behalf of all of us of SIE, I would like to thank you for choosing to undertake this journey with us. "
I PS VR 2 will be available for virtual reality on Playstation 5.